Guidelines for Olin Library Users
The guidelines below are designed to promote an atmosphere conducive to study and research and to protect library users and collections.
- Food or beverages: Please refrain from bringing food into the library. Beverages in covered containers and cans are permissible, as these containers are less likely to spill.
- Noise: Please be respectful of other library users by keeping noise to a minimum.
- Cell phones: Please turn off your cell phone ringer while inside the library. If you need to make or receive a call while inside the library, take your call to the staircase landing on any floor, where it will be less distracting to others.
- Personal property: Protect your personal property from theft or damage. Do not leave personal property, including laptops, mobile devices, bags, and other articles of value, unattended.
- Posters and flyers: Please do not hang, place, or distribute posters and flyers within or outside the building, unless you have obtained authorization from the library Administration office. The Administration office is located on Level 3 and is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Running, skating, and similar activities: Please refrain from these activities. While in the building, carry your skateboard, in-line skates, or collapsible scooter, and do not place these items where they obstruct pathways, corridors, or stairways.
- Bicycles and non-collapsible scooters: Refrain from bringing bicycles and non-collapsible scooters into the building.
- Stairways: Due to safety and fire regulations, do not linger or sit on staircases.
- Smoking: Refrain from smoking or chewing tobacco. These activities are not allowed anywhere on the Washington University campuses.
- Pets: With the exception of trained assistance or guide dogs, do not bring animals into the library.
- Identification cards: Please bring your ID card with you to the library. For safety reasons, library staff may, from time to time, request to see a library user's identification. A valid Washington University ID is required to enter the building after 9:00 pm.
- Closing time: Prior to closing, an announcement will be made. At that time, please prepare to leave the library while there is still time to check out needed materials.